Sunday, 8 June 2008

SPRINT 5-08 - 8 Jun 08 - Tuakau on the River

I recently joined the predator jetsprint club. Certainly an exciting experience for someone who has never driven a boat before. I was aware there was a prestigious award handed out each month. I'd heard of the "Dork of the Day" award and was in awe of the stories for the award winning performances that had happened in the past and some I recently bore witness to, which seemed even more grand than the stories passed down from the experienced crowd - I guess you had to be there.

On Sunday 8th June I was not to know that I too would fall in this category... Although when reviewing the dictionary meaning for Dork (Somehow I think I was born without that appendage) but to be an honorary member was a prestigious moment. A Girl's gotta do what a Girl's gotta do... I guess.

This months Predator Jetsprint Club day was held at the Tuakau bridge, down by the boat ramp. It was a clear beautiful day although we were all ready for turbulent weather as per the warnings of our resident "Rain Dancer" Campbell who lives on the hill. Well maybe his fortune marbles had been demagnetised this week... but the water was glassy, the wind was still, and the boats were ready. It all looked good.

Today's circuit was on the river. The buoys marked out the course and the paper handouts were delivered after the drivers briefing. For the newbie's and drivers who had just joined this season this was a new experience and a chance to practice our lines or at least survive. No clay banks to worry about at least.

The recon run was a good chance to experience what water does when not trapped in a jetsprint track. Basically on the Meremere track you stuff up and you end up on the bank... Here it was more like you end up on the riverbed chatting with the eels. But the day didn't not bring any of that into the mix although the drivers of P19 looked like they were going for it on some corners!

A Blog would not be complete without a short recap of the drivers performance:
Simon and Sheila (who have recently bought P10) came along. Sheila got in to it with first time driving and did fantastic job of those corners in P1! Simon did really well and managed to beat Cam's time in Cam's boat (which didn't go down too well at all - you should have heard the griping and grumbling)

Den managed to pip Nick at the post with half an second lead in the top5 who also had the fastest time of the day of 63.5sec plus took out the season number one spot - well done!
Doug had a superb time with his new Mercury Boat masterpiece doing as I recall (when I timed it) a 51 on the same circuit not to mention a respectable title of third in the predator class.
Ree... There's a reason your at the top in the ladies... You drive like a mad woman and I was proud to be your navigator... Not that you needed my direction. Ree you navigated for me and I must say your hand signals were way more understandable that some people who will remain nameless...
Josh and Kirsten as navigator had a brilliant run and came 5th only 3 seconds behind the FTD.
Cam...who ditched me as the navigator for Simon...Yes it's called karma... came 6th... maybe there was something in it?
P13 got a work out with the skills of Ryan, Alison and Andrew who also navigated for Den in the winning boat.
Rodger managed to knock off over 10 seconds off his original timed run on his cut off time - absolutely fantastic improvement!
Now the boys in p19... I have never met you before, however I must say I was halfexpecting to witness a sinking of a boat. But in true style you guys narrowly (yet skilfully) managed to avoid that disaster. No... I am not available to navigate for you.

Now onto to what you've all been waiting for... How I earned the prestigious award of "Dork of the Day": We all know that I have been single for quite some time now... However my luck was about to change this day. As on my top 10 run I was astounded to learn that I had picked up two boys... Not one but two! However it wasn't meant to be... These fellas weren't really my type, a bit portly, didn't really have much to say, sat on their bums and drifted about all day (which is not very attractive and certainly not my thing).... Ah yes not to mention bloody great big sash weights tethered to the end of their ropes! (sorry about the puns!)

Yes you guessed it! I had picked up inadvertently the starter Buoy (we didn't notice) and the number 5 buoy (which we did notice) and they preceded to become needy, jealous and controlling by wrapping their ropes around each others and around the skeg on the bottom of the boat. Can't stand it when Buoys fight over a woman. Needless to say I gave them the flick. Girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do... I guess.

It was an awesome day, we all had a great time, Thanks Cam for having us all up at your place for the prize giving (fantastic view). To all who helped out on the day with timing, co-ordination, and preparations, it was enjoyed by all!

I look forward to handing on this prestigious award in August 2008 to another deserving candidate!
Take care everyone and see you next time.
Cheers
Amy

What's Coming Up?

  • CONFIRMED DATES for 2014 Series 2
  • --------------See top right-------